Background

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Best Banana Bread

I've posted a number of recipes on my previous blog and eventually I'll re-post all of them here.  I had to start with this one because I made two loaves today with the zucchini that two of our neighbors dropped off.  Isn't that sweet?  It sure is nice to feel welcome in our new neighborhood.


The original recipe comes from my great-grandmother.  She was a fabulous cook and baker.  I have tried lots of banana bread but never tasted better!  I like that it doesn't have any oil in it, although there is plenty of butter!  We had an overabundance of zucchini in our CSA the last couple of years so I modified the recipe to make a yummy zucchini version. I hope you'll try both of them!


Mama Thomas's Banana Bread
1&1/2 cups flour
3 ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
Bake at 325 for 50 minutes.
This stuff is so good! It is super moist and if you take it out just a little early the top it a little squishy and makes it extra good! To modify the recipe do the following:


Chocolate Chip-Banana-Zucchini Bread
3 cups flour (i use 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 white flour)
1 cup sugar ( i don't double the sugar...i don't think it needs it but you can if you'd like)
1/2 cup melted butter
3 bananas
2 eggs
2 tsps salt
2 tsps baking soda
2 small/medium zucchini grated
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Bake at 325 for 50 minutes. 









3 comments:

  1. These both look so wonderful, I will be trying both! I am always looking for the perfect banana bread recipe. I linked to you from Full Plate Thursday. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    What great breads! I would hate to have to make a choice, so I will just have to try them both, they look delicious. Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great new blog and I am you newest follower! Hope to see you again real soon.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete